Whether you’re a regular traveller like me, a business traveller, or you just want to keep the kids amused during a long trip there are some essential travel items and gadgets that can make the journey a lot easier and your trip a lot more fun.
I travel for lots of reasons; for work, as a travel blogger and, of course, for pleasure. There are certain travel items and gadgets that I never leave home without (yes, I have a travel gadget geeky side).
There are more and more innovative travel items and gadgets on the market than ever before to make travel less stressful and more enjoyable – even the airport bit. Here’s how I gear up for my trips with some essential travel items.
Long-haul flight essentials
For the flight. Here are my picks for travel items and gear that make even the longest flight more bearable. Let's face it, flying long-haul in economy isn't always pleasant but sometimes there's not a choice.
I've learnt some hacks over the last few years that make the whole experience much more pleasurable - without having to fork out for an expensive upgrade...
Sony WH-CH700N Wireless Bluetooth Noise Canceling Headphones
Stay sane on the plane. Cancel out noise from aircraft engines, noisy passengers or galley noises and relax in peace or listen to your favourite music.
All-New Fire HD 10 Tablet (1080p full HD display, 32 GB)
Take as many books as you like without using up precious luggage space. Download films or that series you've been meaning to catch up on.
A bright display and decent battery life means the Fire HD10 also doubles up as an affordable media tablet if you don't want to take your laptop on your trip.
Trtl Travel Pillow
I never travel long-haul without my Trtl travel pillow and have had up to 7 hours non-stop sleep using it.
I've had my Trtl for about five years now and it's an absolute must-have. It tucks neatly into the bottom of my bag, takes up very little room and is very light. 10/10 from me for this one.
100% Cashmere Wrap
A cashmere wrap is wonderfully soft and warm especially when they've cranked up the air-conditioning and the flight's freezing. It's so much nicer to wrap yourself up in one of these than the rough old static airline blankets which, frankly, can be a bit smelly.
My cashmere wrap helps me feel like I'm flying premium even when I'm not...
Eye Mask for Sleeping
3D Contoured Light Blocking Sleeping Mask to help you sleep. Use with the Trtl neck pillow to guarantee some shut-eye
Anker Power Bank
Not all airlines have in-seat USB chargers so this power bank keeps my mobile and tablet charged. Useful for in-flight entertainment and for making calls or checking Google maps when I land.
Cabin Max Carry on Luggage Rose Gold Suitcases with Wheels
Both stylish and practical the Travel Hack luggage is ideal for most major airlines making it the perfect carry on for women. The case has loads of internal pockets, is lightweight, rolls easily and has separate laptop and handbag storage pockets and a water bottle holder.
22 x 16 x 9 Weight - 6lbs Capacity - 28 litres. Remember to check with your airline for carry on sizes and weight restrictions.
Business travel items
Business travel is a whole different ball game. Sometimes you’ll go straight from a flight into a meeting and will need to arrive refreshed, smartly dressed and ready to hit the ground running.
- Portable garment steamer – for important wrinkle-free meetings
- Worldwide Travel Adaptor with USB ports – the only adaptor plug you’ll ever need
- Portable laptop lock – Stop your laptop/notebook and all your information from being swiped
- Electronics Organizer – all your gadgets, cables and techie gear in one neat, waterproof case
- Dual Voltage Hot Brush – I take my dual voltage hot brush on my trips away so I can style my hair in the usual way whether I’m in the US or Europe
- Bluetooth speaker keeps my favourite sounds going in my hotel room, on the beach or by the pool.
- There are times when I’m working that I need my mobile phone with me where ever I might be – a ride out on a jet ski happened to be one occasion (I love my job!). I took my waterproof mobile phone pouch with me. It’s ideal because you can answer your phone, without taking it out of the pouch, and take photos and video. You wouldn’t know from the pics I took that they were taken from inside the pouch. Also if the pouch happens to fly off from around your neck (not sure how exactly this would happen…) it floats so all is not lost. This was one really useful little pouch.
Of course you’ll also need luggage for your trip. Check out my best travel backpacks guide to help you choose the best backpack for you and your trip.
What gadgets join you on your journey? – Let me know so I can check them all out!
Saturday 28th of May 2016
Thanks for the reminder, Suzanne, must get some music sorted before flying to Canada on Monday! I'll also look into those phone pouches on my return (fingers crossed no mishaps before then!).
Saturday 28th of May 2016
Have a good trip to Canada and thanks for dropping by!
Monday 21st of December 2015
Good compilation of travel gadgets that are a must to have while you are travelling. Power bank and iPod are the ones that I just cannot afford to miss on. I am addicted to social media, music and clicking photos so a charged power bank is my lifeline.
Monday 21st of December 2015
My power bank comes with me if I'm out for a day or more :)
Suze - Luxury Columnist
Tuesday 3rd of November 2015
The waterproof protective phone pouch sounds like a great idea!
Wednesday 4th of November 2015
It's a great idea for clumsy people like me!