A Journey Around Europe

A Journey Around Europe
Grand Canal, Venice

The Grand Canal, Venice

I’ve had a fabulous year of travel in Europe visiting Paris, Bologna, Venice, Amsterdam, Sorrento, London and I had an all too brief stop in Rome last weekend.  Bruges is on the cards for December and I’m really excited about visiting the Christmas markets to get me in a festive mood – I may even be forced to sample some Belgian chocolate!  There’s nothing I like more than the buzz of a city, the cafe and bar culture, the famous sights and landmarks, museums and of course a bit of shopping. What’s not to love!

View of Rome from Villa Medici

View of Rome from Villa Medici

But how well do you know actually know Europe, its Capital Cities, landmarks and flags?  Here’s a fun travel quiz brought to you by Superbreak to while away a few minutes and get thinking about some of the exciting cities in Europe you might have a hankering to visit.

Stortorget, Gamla Stan, Stockholm

Stortorget, Gamla Stan, Stockholm

Have a go – it’s just for fun – and see how many anagrams you can solve to identify famous European cities, landmarks and attractions – who knows it may even inspire your future travels.  There are photo clues dotted around this post because, well, we all love a few pics don’t we!  Just click the picture below to take part…

superbreak-quiz

Click the pic to take the quiz

I Amsterdam Sign

1. How lucky that you’ll be visiting Bruges in December ..I’m looking forward to your report on visiting the Christmas markets. If their markets are anything like those in Germany you’ll be enjoying a lot of amazing food. And buying a Christmas decoration or two!

• Back from Bruges – just a flying visit. The Bruges markets weren’t nearly as good as the ones I’ve visited in Munich but lots of lovely decorations to be found :)

2. Venice is still one of my favorite cities. Paris is nice but a little overwhelming.

• I’ve not visited Paris properly for about 13 years – about time I re-visited :)

3. Bruges turned out to be one of my favorite cities (large town) in Europe. I’ve never been to Amsterdam (wassup with that?), but my husband assured me that Bruges was like Amsterdam, lite. There were plenty of picturesque canals. We also went on a tour of the World War I battlefields around Bruges and Ypres. It was a Flanders Fields tour by Quasimodo, a husband and wife operation. It was very intense and moving. Along country roads, you still come upon little piles of unexploded WW I shells left by farmers to be collected by the ordnance disposal team.

• That’s great to hear as I’m visiting on Monday! I have just one day in Bruges but would love to go back as I have an interest in the battlefields and WWI and II (I live in Battle of 1066 Battle of Hastings fame!)

• I did too – it’s such a wonderful city. I have a few blog posts about it if you’d like to take a look. Would go back anytime :)

4. What has been your favourite destination?? I was really taken with your San Marino entry :)

• Thank you! I can’t admit to a favourite city as they’re all so different but Italy as a country is right up there! :)

5. You’ve had a fantastic year! Some chocolate in Belgium sounds wonderful… :)

6. That’s some year for one year – enjoy your trip to Bruges. ;)

• I’d like to say they were all leisure trips but mostly for work with a couple of hours sightseeing squeezed in – not complaining though!

7. What a great year you have had Suzanne! Adding my wishes to Jo’s for another fabulous year filled with more happy travels! Now off to check out that quiz :-)

8. An extra exciting year, Suze! :) Hope 2014 is as good for you.

• It’ll be a hard one to beat Jo! 2013 was looking very quiet and then things just took off!

• Well, you’ll have the first wedding anniversary excuse :) Not too many choccies in Belgium, mind!